7/29/10

yard work.....

This morning we are mowing the lawn for the first time.  Hopefully cutting down all the tall weeds will help the grass grow... and hopefully Corinne City will get the water working again, so it doesn't fry all up.
The city water pump went down around 2 weeks ago - so our sprinklers don't work.  We have left the weeds with hopes that they might be providing the grass with some shade from the scorching sun..... I am afraid we'll be reseeding the entire yard again after all this mess :(

anyway, here are a few pic of how nice it was looking before the sprinklers quit. and my great weeding too.


backyard



the weeds looked like a big sea monster heading toward the house to swallow it up
ah, there.  now you can see how it's supposed to look LOL  my marigolds are growing in nicely!
the weeds are completely hiding all the large rocks that I had collected and used to outline the mound
dontcha just love those huge orange things sticking out? 
rediculous...
I have no idea when they will get around to coming to take care of that....
I am still working on this corner mound.  I paid 2 neighbor boys to find and bring me more big rocks - I thought 25cents per big rock was a good price, I should have said 10 cents, cuz I ended up paying them about $16 and I could really still use a lot more rocks, or I could have spent that on mulch.  Oh well, they were really happy for some cash, and I was happy that I didn't have to drag those rocks over here.     I put down weed barrier under the rocks! so I won't have to deal with weeding there anymore except around the plants.    I think the poor bush is dead... the sprinklers didn't even reach it.  The tree is doing ok, for now, but it actually gets some water.  Several of the bushes in the mound in front of the house, are also dying cuz the sprinklers can't reach them.   Next year, I will probably have to dig them up, and replace them. What a waste.  Kinda like the lawn. I know there are spots that have no grass growing.  We will have to have that redone too.
I am very unhappy with the "landscaping" company that NNHC hired to put in our sprinkler system.  They said that no one in the Smithfiled group had any complaints with them, but all 6 of us here have been very upset with them. So if you need a "landscaper" none of us would recommend Lindsey Landscaping.

Anyway. The boys are happy that they get to be on the grass now.  Sometimes they forget that it's allowed - Grayson was running across the lawn, and Thomas told him to get off the grass (the neighbor boy did the same thing) .  Or Thomas will ask me if it's ok to go in the backyard.  I knew that would happen.  I am sure it will only take a few more weeks before they forget all about it.
We have several more projects to get done outside.  I love doing work in my very own yard (I just wish it wasn't 100 degrees outside).   We need to get the swingset reassembled.  We need to make a nice sandbox (I think getting sand to fill it with will be the tough part).  And I want my patio swing set up too. 
We still haven't gotten a "vision" of how we'd like our patio area yet.  I am kinda happy about that LOL - cuz I don't feel the pressure to make it just right, RIGHT NOW.  We have time to plan that out, and time to get a little more money to do it (eventually).
Well, it's time to get out and work out there, before it gets too hot.


2 comments:

The Suzzzz said...

It is looking good, don't get discouraged! There are always kinks and bumps when putting in a lawn/garden...it just takes a lot of patience and some elbow grease.

Have you called the landscaping company directly to see if they will come and fix the sprinklers? If they were paid to do a job they should make sure it is done right.

If you need a sprinkler head and/or an extra spray nozzle to put on your hose and spot water the scarey parts (if you don't mind watering off of a culinary spigot instead of irrigation), I have an extra one of each that are just sitting in my D.I. pile. They are yours if you want it.

Mowing will help. I'm not sure why, but mowing slowly kills off weeds and promotes grass growth. It is healthy for the lawn. Just don't fertilize right now. That is a big mistake a lot of people make with new lawns. You should never feed, fertilize, or spray the lawn for bugs when the temperature is over 80F. You can severly burn/damage the grass, sometimes beyond the point of repair.

If you need more rocks you can take as much as you want from the rock pile behind my parents' shed. They are big but there are plenty and they are free. If you want to buy some bigger landscaping rocks or sand or gravel, you should call Nish Rock over in Plymouth, 435.458.2134. They have reasonable prices but GREAT customer service.

Mindy :) said...

yeah, they came and fertilized as Tyson was out mowing :S
I nearly freaked out.

As fot the Lindsay Landscaping dude - he is a jerk. We would call him, he would promise to come, and then never show - for WEEKS.
when he did finally come - he gave us ONE instruction manual (for all 6 of us in the group to share) for how to adjust the heads. My neighbor was SMART and said "NO - I am not going to do it. YOU are going to do the adjusting. we paid YOU to do it." so his sprinklers are all working now --- (when the pump worked anyway) -- but we still have LOTs of adjusting to do, and I swear I SUCK at it they don't go where they need to be going....
we don't have secondary water either.. it's all culinary.
I was watering with a hose, but NOTHING was growing in the dead spot, since it wasn't getting water from day one, so I just quit - no sense in wasting it.
AND our water bill is outrageous.