1/14/11

Strep Throat - AGAIN

Wednesday I started to feel a sore throat coming on. By the evening, when Tyson had got home from work, I warned him, that I was getting sick. I woke up yesterday morning and looked with my handy flashlight to see the back of my throat - sure enough - it's strep again. I immediately got a dr. appointment - with a different doc this time - we have a group of doctors in the office we go to, and I just go with whomever I can get the earliest appointment with.

The last 2 times it was Dr. Keller - he's an older gentleman - and he always says the same stuff, cuz he doesn't remember me. "it could be mono - we should do the swab to make sure - then he explains how the z-pack works, eventhough I have used it before many times.

This time I got Dr. Wilding. He is an even older gentleman. After waiting for over an hour for him to see me, he came in and asked what was wrong. I told him "I have strep throat again". He says "well, how are your ears?" and he proceeded to give them a look (his hands shakey and poking me in the ear with his little ear checky tool) - they of course looked fine. so he turns to grab a tongue depressor, I open my mouth for half a second (I am really good at getting my tongue out of the way so they can see the back of my throat) and he exclaimed "You need some meds" -- just then his nurse stepped in, and he needed to go back out to check on something ---- so there I sat.

When he came back in, he started talking about Mono --- and then did the swab to be sure.... then gave me a perscription for the z-pack and had to tell me how it worked and how to take it.... the whole while I was trying to tell him, that I have had strep about 5 times in the last 7 months, and that I know that is what it is, and that I know the z-pack will work fine, and I have used it before --- He finally flipped thru my chart, and looked at 2 of the pages that said I had been confirmed with strep in Aug and one of the other months (can't remember which).

He stopped for one second and asked where I was getting it from. Ya GOT ME??? I told him. I am a stay at home mom, so its not like I am out picking up a lot of germs all the time. Perhaps thomas is bringing it home from preschool? But he doesn't get sick. Maybe it's from Grayson being in the nursery? but he's not sick this time. I always try to clean the handles of the shopping carts when I go shopping. And at church, my only social interaction, I don't actually come in any contact with anyone - no shaking hands or anything. So I don't know.

I just read an article on Yahoo about some "hidden" germy places so I have a few ideas for more thorough decontamination.

When I am sick (and since it seems to be happening way too often), I kinda start to freak out, that I will get the kids or Tyson sick too. I am afraid to touch stuff they might touch - like door handles, or cups, or silverware.
I have been watching MONK once in a while on netflix, and I can't help but wonder if I should be more ocd about making sure I get things more clean - like how he boils water and then pours it on his toothbrush, or uses a wipe to clean his hands if he shakes someones hands, or touches something.

I have to say Thank You to my mom for coming over yesterday to help me play with the kids. She took on Thomas. Grayson still needed his mommy most of the day, but it was such a big help.

I am not on my deathbed with it this time. I usually get the fever and chills and aches and such before the strep even presents itself. But it was totally different this time. I am hoping that it because my body is learning how to fight it better.

3 comments:

ajandersonguy said...

When I was in TN the Bishops family kept coming down with strep. Someone seriously had it at least once a week. They finally had everyone checked and come to find out their one child that hadn't come down with it yet was a carrier! They some how made her get it and took care of it and they stopped getting sick. Weird. I didn't know that could happen. Maybe someone is a carrier in your house and you are just really susceptible to it. You should just ask your dr for Zpak with refills then you don't have to go to him every time you get it just go to pharmacy! Course they are old so maybe they won't agree to it, it's worth a try though.
Jessica

Mindy :) said...

yep, somebody has got to be the carrier -
when I was in middle school the cool thing to do was to trade sweatshirts (and if everyone wanted your sweatshirt, you were COOL)
I kept getting strep over and over. They told me if it happened one more time, they would take out my tonsils. Mom and Dad had somehow made me put an end to the trading sweatshirts about the same time -- and suddenly, I didn't ever get strep again.
One of my friends I traded with all the time, was the carrier.

Mindy :) said...

And yes, they are so old, that they wouldn't even listen to me about anything. Always acting like I wouldn't know it was strep, cuz I must be so dumb, or something.
I didn't think to ask for it as a refill though. I think maybe it's time to seek out a new set of Dr.'s.