1/27/11

Thomas

we got Thomas in to see a Dr. yesterday, because his eczema is out of control this winter. His whole torso is covered front and back, and cuz it itches, he scratches, and has areas that have scabs that we have to cover with bandaids. Poor little guy. It is tough to see in this picture, I should have take one of his back, that is where he scratches the most.




We don't use harsh soaps, and we don't bathe him too much, just enuf. We also use my home made laundry soap, so theres no additives to irritate him. We are also being careful to watch for food allergies that could be triggering/inflaming.

I have used every lotion out there to slather him up for some relief. But he is sensitive to touch, and especially when I have to do his neck, he "wiggles" (to put it mildly).
It's like trying to catch a greased pig.

He thrashes and squeals and even runs away sometimes, and I can't get a hold of him to keep him still, cuz he is totally covered with lotion. Oh the fun.

We have found that Renew lotion from Melaleuca works better than anything else we have tried. I am glad that my sister sells Melaleuca products!

Anyway - so Tyson took him to the Dr. appointment yesterday. I went to Parent Teacher Conference at the same time. So we had a full day of Thomas stuff yesterday.

Since I didn't go to the appointment, I don't know exactly how it went. Tyson said the Dr. was great to listen to everything he had to say, and seemed super nice. Tyson warned him when he started to touch Thomas to check the sore spots out, that his neck is super sensitive, but the Dr. tried anyway. What he got was a little Thomas hurricane, and they had to get him to calm back down and try to sit still again.

After the $20 co-pay and what I am sure will be about another $50 for the rest of the visit, and the $4 tiny tube of steroid cream, we are still in the same place. he said all the stuff we are doing is great. There really isn't anything to do, but continue to slather him in lotion - the Dr. suggests 3 times a day (rofl - yeah right).

At Parent Teacher Conference, Ms. Karla had great things to say about how smart our little guy is. He has progressed considerably since the last eval. - academically at least and somewhat with working with peers (but we'll take anything).

Here's a quick list of the improvements he's made: he is holding his pencil correctly to write, writing his name is getting easier for him - he's always known the letters - they are just hard to write- especially left handed, he has learned how to make a pattern, he is starting to learn addition, a recent lesson about green monsters has helped him with his imagining and also drawing pictures. In his social skills, his teacher says he can work in groups on solving a problem, he has initiated play, and shared.

So that is what is new with our big boy.

At home he loves to play on the computer. His favorite game is on Playhouse Disney .com ~"Imagination movers - Idea box". he spends hours doing that. He also loves Word World on Pbskids .com.


In the play room his favorite thing to do is drawing on our big white boards. I love the things he comes up with to draw. Once he drew out all the things that we had seen when we drove down to see the Christmas lights display down in Willard Bay. He drew a bear climbing a tree to get the honey, and then the bee stopping the bear, cuz it is HIS honey. He drew funny monsters and faces for a while after the monster lesson at school. He has drawn a bowl of ABC's and 123's with meatballs (one of his favorite Chef Boyardee dinners). And he loves to write words too.


Thomas loves to help me with everything from cooking to getting Grayson's diaper when it's diaper change time. He is such a fun little guy.
We have an appointment on Feb 9. with a Dr. to observe his ADD. Hopefully it won't be like the last time I took him in - I'd had a dream several nights before that the Dr. would tell me he saw no signs of ADD - and that is what happened. Thomas got sick just before the appointment, and was totally lethargic. The Dr. said he didn't see any signs... I said "he is NOT himself" (DUH).
Better luck this time. And don't get me wrong, I don't WANT Thomas to be ADD - but I know he is, and we need to get some help. He will be starting Kindergarten in Sept. and we need to work on his attention or he will have trouble learning, and he will drive his teacher nuts.




6 comments:

The Suzzzz said...

Have you tried having Thomas put the lotion on himself? A lot of ticklishness (I don't even know if that's a real word) is psychological. It might be less irritating or sensitive if he applied it with his own hands. I know he may not like it but I'm sure there is a way you could turn it into a game...like connect the dots. Something to make it fun for him.

My sister in law stacey would get severe eczema. She would treat it herself at home with Eucerin and having a humidifier going 24/7 from October to April, which helped but didn't fully get rid of it.

She finally got fed up and went to a dermatologist and he gave her some medicated cream to use and that worked ok for a while but didn't prevent it.

Her GP suggested she get allergy test and she found out that the "sensitive skin" shampoo/conditioner/body soap/face products she was using asctually had things that triggered an allergic reaction...even though they were supposedly wonderful.

It might be a good idea to take him into an allergy clinic and have them do a scratch test for topical allergens, just in case.

Mindy :) said...

some day when we are rich, I would love us all to get allergy test :)

The Suzzzz said...

A lot of insurances cover it if you get a referal from your GP. You just pay the co-pay.

I've never been tested, but I've never had any issue with severe allergies. *fingers crossed* I've been lucky and I hope to keep it that way.

Vanisi Family said...

Poor guy!! That's awful! You should just move to California :)

My oldest is mildly autistic. It is hard to admit that something is going on, but the help makes such a difference. Don't quit trying. It'll be worth it. Please get in touch if you ever want to talk!

The Suzzzz said...

Hey Mindy, I was just doing laundry and I needed to make up some more pretreater and when I grabbed my Fels Naptha I noticed right on the front of the packaging (I've never looked too carefully before now) it says "CAUTION: Skin and Eye Irritant".

I remember you saying that you use Fels as part of your homemade laundry detergent. Maybe it isn't being completely rinsed off the clothes and it is rubbing off on Thomas. Try switching to one of the hypo-allergenic laundry lines for a couple weeks and see if makes a difference.

I found this site...

http://hypoallergenicdetergent.blogspot.com/

it compares different brands.

The Suzzzz said...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T081800.asp