3/9/11

a little catch up

We took Thomas to his pediatrician. He was diagnosed with ADHD, PDD and ODD.
We first tried the medicine Adderall. It made him an insominac, which in turn made him weepy all thru the day cuz he was so exhausted.
The Dr. switched him to Strattera. It is a little different, cuz the dosage is increased a little at a time - he is on the second week of it, and last night he was again up for alot of the night, and he has been quite difficult for the last few days. he isn't at the full dosage yet, so we will give it another week or more, but I am not sure that this is the med for him either.
We have started seeing a therapist with him to help us deal with his PDD. Tomorrow is our third visit.
So slowly but surely we are starting to try to get a handle on our lives.

Today Grayson had me up at 6 am, and while putzing at the computer I stumbled across a blog of a lady who has 3 children - one has adhd, one has aspergers, and one has down syndrome. I don't know what it was about this blog that kept me reading. I think I was reading for over 3 hours. It could have been that I realized, maybe I don't have it so bad. It could have been that she had been dealing with a lot of similar things to me, for so much longer than me, that I learned a few things from her experiences. It could have been that I wish I could be a little more like her.

I have been blessed with the chance to go exercise in the mornings at the church. 9 am every weekday, a lady lugs her tv and dvd player to the gym, and a tiny handful of us Zumba for an hour. Somedays I take the boys with me - they can just run around and play with any other kids that come, or draw on the chalkboards. The last couple days I have left them home with Tyson, and that has been nice too. I skipped out on it today though. My IBS has been insufferable. I don't know if all that zumba-ing has been the cause of the irritation - I HOPE That's not it - but I cannot think of anything else I have done to make it act up.

I haven't quite gotten to the point of "liking" the exercising - my back, legs, feet, belly, etc. hurt - BUT I do have more energy to get thru the day. And that is important to me.


So with some of this energy I have been trying to get back to doing my hobby. On the first saturday of every month I get to spend as much of the day as I wish scrapbooking while Tyson takes care of the boys. Last month I just made cards, to get back into the swing of things. I did scrap photo pages this month, since I have been spending a lot of time during the week nights making cards. I have an online friend that is hosting a crop later this month, and as part of it, she is also collecting cards to send to Operation Write Home. I have fallen in love with this program. Now I have a great excuse for making cards. The Mission of OWH is "Supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them."
my goal for this time was 80 cards. so far I have made 70 - 10 more to go this week, then I will mail them off! next time I will have a much higher goal, cuz I will have lots longer to create them.


and Little Grayson - well, my big 2 year old still loves to copy everything big brother does. He likes to use the toilet, but isn't quite potty trained. He loves to color and draw. He is starting to talk better. I was worried for a while about his speach, but he is slowly increasing his vocabulary. Some words still come out blbaha, burra, hassa, though :) One phrase he knows perfectly well is "weed pweas" - as he holds out a book and attempts to climb onto our laps. He really enjoys having me read the book first, then he hops down from my lap, yells "Dadda" and then tells daddy to "weed pweas" and climbs into his lap. When daddy is done, the game starts all over as he yells "Mamma" and runs back to me.
some of his other words are : non-us = Thomas (this is used for his brother, as well as for Thomas the train) , mop = milk, beb = bed, gog = dog, guck = duck and truck and stuck.
Tyson laughs when I talk with Grayson, because I can figure out what he is saying, but Tyson still can't understand him.

Grayson has grown tall enough to reach his door knob, so since he is in his big boy bed, he gets up a lot when it's time to go to sleep - nap time included. So now I can't put him down for a nap until he has gotten over tired, and will actually fall asleep, otherwise it's just a game of chase for him. Bedtime at night has gotten a little stressful, it takes him almost an hour to settle down and stop coming out of his room. I hope that someday when the warm weather returns, the boys will start to play hard outside and actually get their energy worked off, so they will be ready to sleep at night. (oh, yes, that reminds me - that it's daylight savings time again this weekend - we spring forward - so that will be interesting to see how that affects their sleep as well).

ok, well, my hands are tired of typing so - that is all for today.....sorry I couldn't include pictures again this time. maybe next time....


4 comments:

Tam said...

Hope you get Thomas worked out soon!
My daughter had some significant speech issues so was quite hard to understand. However, I understood her better than anyone when I could figure it out. It's probably that way with G, too, because we are the ones around them the most! She was older than him and still had it pretty hard, so it wasn't just small phrases. Sometimes it took taking what she was saying in context to figure it out. Poor kid!

The Suzzzz said...

Keep working with the speech, it will come. I've noticed that a lot of boys seem to develop speech and social skills more slowly then girls.

My sister in law got her younger son into an early prevention speech therapy program at Ellis Elementary even before he was in kindergarten and it really seemed to help.

What are you doing for your IBS? Jim and Mike both have it, Mike also has diverticulosis with diverticulitis flare ups. Both of them have had to cut way back on dairy, fried foods, artificial sweeteners, raw fruits and raw veggies...and they've increased their fiber and exercise and it seems to work. Mike takes a prescription when the flare ups get really bad.

Mike hated exercising at first because he said it made him feel worse than doing nothing. But after a couple of months of regular exercise it really started to help. I've noticed it seems worse for him in the winter when he's not getting out and also in the spring when he starts to exercise, but summer and fall after he's gotten into a routine are better.

Mindy :) said...

it is a little more challenging for me to know if Grayson is "behind" because Thomas was so vocal, so fluent, when he was so tiny. I was worried about Grayson for a while, cuz he didn't talk at all. Now that he has started, I am sure it will just take a little time. The early learning center where Thomas goes can help if/when we decide to get Grayson some help.

For the IBS, I don't take anything, cuz in my research I haven't come across anything that has said there is anything to take. The last time I went to the Dr. he gave me a sample of Prilosec for it. I had acid reflux too, and it helped with that, but not so much the IBS. so I figured it would be a waste of time to talk to a dr. again. But I have a new Dr. so I might give him a chance. What does mike take?

The Suzzzz said...

Oral dicyclomine for the IBS pain, and for his heartburn he's on the generic for Rx strength prilosec.