3/10/11

a new day

I was really looking forward to going to our appointment with Thomas's new psychologist today, especially after the kids antics last night.

I was getting their dinner ready, and I thought they were playing so well together. But it turned out that they were actually destroying every room they went in. The toy room was already a mess, so they were running back and forth thru the house. In my room - which they shouldn't have been in in the first place, they spread clean laundry all over the floor. In each of their rooms, Thomas climbed up the shelves in their closets and knocked every single thing down to the floor. All in a matter of a few minutes. I know the kids can be noisey when they play, but how did I not notice what they were doing sooner?? I don't know.

So I was extrememly frustrated last night, and really hoped that our Dr. visit would help me get a few ideas on what I should be doing better to both avoid these kinds of nights, and also what to do to handle them when they do happen - cuz ya know they will.

I know it might seem too simple, but Dr. Nate's advice that really stuck in my brain was about taking a deep breath before I react. I am so tired of yelling - and it doesn't do any good, so I am going to try much harder to stop and calm myself, and decide what is to be done before I just fly off the handle and yell.

Dr. Nate watched Thomas closely today. Tyson practiced the "special time" with Thomas in the toy room, and Dr. and I observed in the next room thru the one way mirror and he talked to me about what he saw. he said Thomas's ADHD and his PDD are working against each other - on one hand Thomas wants to go-go-go. and on the other hand every imput around him is telling him to be cautious and watch out. so he said Thomas is a bit gaurded. He said it's no wonder Thomas has a hard time with control. And that is what he wants - he wants to be in control. Dr. Nate talked with me about ways to redirect Thomas without Thomas feeling like he is not in control, and he also reminded me to pick my battles. Because with Thomas, some of the things are just the ways that he needs to get out energy or help himself feel balanced (like the noises he makes - ugh - we hate to listen to them, but it's just part of his sensory imput being out of balance).

So things went good today. I am feeling a little more renewed to deal with my special little boy.

Grayson was in heaven - all those fun toys to play with. Then we went to burger king for lunch! Spoiled little boys.

I guess I forgot to add that he mentioned that as Thomas gets older we may start seeing more symptoms of Aspergers immerge.

No comments: