5/25/12

my tomatoes



I found this idea for a self watering tomato bucket (it's on my pinterest board for garden http://pinterest.com/pin/25473554112177202/).  and I found the info for tomato tips on pinterest too.  It starts with a 5 gallon bucket, with pop cans in the bottom (they have holes in 'em. a water bottle with holes, that is a bit taller than the pop cans.  and hardware cloth on the top - I covered the cloth with a simple piece of newspaper.  the bucket also has a hole in it for filling up with water, and an air pocket between the cans and the dirt, to avoid root rot.
the tomato growing helps are asprin, bone meal, and eggshells.
then I just transplanted my tomatoes who had been impatiently growing in their little pots on my dining room table, waiting for the last frost date (which was the middle of may this year).
I am so excited to see how they turn out this year.
I only did 2 plants this year - one celebrity tomato (for burgers and sandwiches, etc.) , and one sweet 100 (we can all eat those little babies like poppin' candy!) YUM!!!!

No comments: