12/16/08

share your ideas with me...

.. about how you get your kids excited about Christmas.
So as most of you know, Thomas has a few quirks - or what I like to call an "interesting and unique personality".
Christmas mornings have not been what I have expected (or remember from my own childhood). I know he is still young, but my little guy just doesn't care about presents.
We had some gifts that we were given, and we had them sitting on the couch by the christmas tree, and he wasn't even curious about them. He didn't wonder if they were for him, or what might be inside or anything. All he cared about were that they were in his way. "Move the Presents" was all he said, because he wanted to bounce on the couch where they were.
So since he is just not really into that, we got him only 2 special gifts, and then a few Lightning McQueen things to put in his stocking. I have explained that the stocking will have treats and surprizes on Christmas morning, and that seems to have peeked his interest. But I can't decide how to keep his enthusiasm for unwrapping the gifts.
I don't know if wrapping them and putting them out now, and telling him about them for the next week would work. Or if not putting them out here until Christmas morning would be better. Or maybe I just shouldn't wrap them at all. I can't decide.

4 comments:

Dani said...

Thomas is still young. Just wrap them and put them under the tree. After he opens them this year and sees how exciting presents are, next year he will be more excited. We had a couple kids who were like that until about 4 years old. I wish they were that way now. The issue I have now is how to keep them from unwrapping before Christmas!

Nichole said...

This is the first year Reed (he is 5) has gotten all excited about Santa and asking for things. So you got nuttin' to worry about~

The Suzzzz said...

Most parents have the opposite problem...keeping their kids from getting into the presents before Christmas morning.

Just wait until you have Grayson, next christmas will probably more exciting.

Camilla Millar said...

Hmmm, I'd have to say that my kids weren't really into presents until they were four, so don't give up hope yet!