4/8/09

Bitterly disappointed

We had an appointment with the NNHC today.

I went in the office with over excitement and optimistic.

I left sad, bitter, angry, disappointed, resentful and pessimistic.

What I thought was going to be an easy choice was made so much more complicated than I could ever imagine.

There were 11 house plans to choose from. We had done our research already, and already knew exactly which one we wanted. Well, we go in, and he tells us we need to choose our top 3 favorites. I said that I didn't need 3 choices I already knew the ONE I wanted. I told him which one and he basically said "well, you can't choose that one because there are already 5 of those built in that development, so we won't build any more of those. Look thru these plans and pick a different one."

I don't want to pick a different plan I want the one I chose first.

Now I am just kinda blown away at how abusurd the way this seems to work.... you rank your top 3 favorite choices for your floor plan - THEN you also pick your top 3 choices for the lot you want (there are only 5 to choose from by the way) and it goes by who gets their loan approved first - we seem to be third in line at the moment - 2 families have already been approved and we are still waiting to get our approval, but it is possible that someone else could still get approved before us (he wouldn't say how many people had applications in right now).

There is another catch. You cannot build 2 homes next to each other that have the same floor plan. So the 5 lots we get to choose from (that seem to be the unwanted leftovers to me) are kinda mingled around homes that have already been built. So if we decided that we wanted floor plan A - we would really only have 2 lots to choose from because the other 3 are too close to other plan A homes that have already been built.

The whole thing seems so unstable to me. Why would I want to put my money and time into building a home that was not my first choice - and if we are really unlucky - why would I want to build a home that was my THIRD choice down the list on a lot that was third on my list. And it seems that the unfortunate family that is picked as the 5th in the group, will have almost NO choice or say in where they will build and will be severely limited on which house would be allowed on that lot.

They gave us a binder with the map of where the lots are located and all the house plans and the paper to rank our top 3 plans and lots onto. We have an appointment next Friday to turn this stuff back in. So we have a little over a week to decide what we are going to do.

Do we really want to put our money and hard work into building a home that is not the one we wanted? If we scrap this idea, we would be back to house hunting - so we looked at the MLS online when we got home, and there is still nothing good in our price range. And how would picking an old run down house be better than building a brand new home that isn't quite what we wanted, but still has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a 2 car garage? Tyson said that at least he would have spent all that time building it himself.

Another option could possibly be that there is a second group that will be building in Corinne. But when we asked about waiting to build with that group he said he didn't have an answer for that yet, but he was going to find out from his superiors and should be able to let us know by our next appointment. This would offer us the chance to build the floor plan that we wanted and in a better location. He tried to explain that he couldn't tell us how long the wait for the second group would be, since the second group wouldn't be able to even start until the first 5 had already been approved and started to build and THEN we'd need to get 5 more families to get approved before starting. He also hinted that he couldn't tell us that we could wait for the second group because those 5 lots that are ready now HAVE to be bought and used before they will even concider starting the next 5. Which makes those lots sound even less desirable - the crappy scraps leftover that noone wanted. It's making me wish that our loan would take MUCH longer to finish going thru the approval process. Then maybe we would be #6 on the list - which would make us # 1 in the second group instead.

I am going to see if I can use baby Grayson as an excuse to wait for the second group. Because maybe if we wait a little longer then he will be older and eating solid foods - not exclusively breastfeeding, and that would make it easier for me to leave him with a sitter, so I can work on the house more frequently.

Anyway, I am still going to at least look thru the plans several more times to see if maybe compromising wouldn't be as horrible and awful as it seems right now after my disappointment. who knows, maybe this is some kind of blessing in disguise or something. (rolling my eyes)

7 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

Hi Mindy- it is Liberty, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to keep up with your family via your blog.

Your little boys are so darling! I love the name Grayson (I have a nephew named that and just seeing the name makes me smile). Little boys are so fun, which I'm sure you know. I love the fact my three little boys have each other.

I'm sorry about your house! That would suck big-time. I'm excited for you to be buying a house, though. I practically made a wet spot on my shirt (salivating) over the prospect of a 4 room 2 garage home. We're crammed in a little tiny thing that makes me want to pull my hair out!

Good luck!

Mindy :) said...

Hi Liberty!

Nichole said...

ay carumba!!

HollerinRat said...

Wow, that seems like a bunch of nonsense to me. What does it matter if the floor plans are the same or not? Personally, I wouldn't build the house unless it was what I wanted. Too afraid I'd end up hating it forever. I've already watched my parents go through that.

Mindy :) said...

exactly Heather - I think if we had to go with a different plan, I would just be thinking EVEY SINGLE DAY "I wanted the other house". AND I will be bitter that the second group is allowed to build the one I wanted, but I was not allowed - completely unfair.

Erica Johnston said...

Keep your chin up- things will work out and you'll end up raising your 2 beautiful boys in a home you love.

Camilla Millar said...

I think agree with some of your friends, I wouldn't want to put the money into building a house that I didn't like to begin with. . . . .