4/30/10

Happy ARBOR DAY!


I joined the arbor day foundation a few weeks ago.  With my membership I was given 10 free trees to plant!
 http://www.arborday.org/shopping/memberships/memberships.cfm?trackingid=528
I gave away several of them, because they probably wouldn't grow well in Corinne (according to some people) and they weren't really what I have planned for our yard anyway.  But I did plant the few I kept.  They are just tiny little sticks in dirt right now, but it will be fun to watch them grow at our new home, as the years go by.
I also got 2 more free trees today.  I had to swing into walmart to get more tape for packing boxes, and Nucor Steel was out in front giving away the state tree to celebrate Arbor day!  Blue Spruce wasn't in the landscaping plan either, but now I think I will incorporate them anyway, cuz they are so cute :0)  Probably going to be putting them between our yard and the Hardy's on the west side of us.  Not sure yet if I want to put them in the front of the yard or in the back yard.
To learn about the first Arbor day go here:
http://www.arborday.org/arborday/history.cfm

I love nature and love that I get to have a beautiful yard full of beautiful plants and trees.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

careful, the spruces get pretty big - my parent's were over 30 feet tall

The Suzzzz said...

Blue Spruce are beautiful trees, just slow growers. Michelle is right, spruces can get huge but they usually grow less than a foot a year so you've got a couple decades before you can worry about height.

You should take photos of your kids once a year next to the trees and see which grow faster!