12/6/10

19 days and counting

I got the advent countdown calendar finished up the other day, and I filled it with some goodies, and tiny nativity ornaments. The boys love it. And they love putting the new ornament on the tree. *I think that is just because they like any excuse to touch the tree* Grayson got a sheep ornament, and now loves going to it and showing it to me, like he is so proud that he put it there. Yesterday's ornament was a shepherd. When Thomas pulled it out from among the m&m's I asked him what it was. He said with a confused look "Lego Starwars?" LOL - I guess the shepherd did look a little like a lego figure.

We played Lego Starwars last night as a family, it is "challenging" to do with the boys, but their delight in it is just too adorable. Thomas and Grayson even sang along with the theme song...(dun dun dun, dun dun dun) it makes us so proud as parents... passing along such an awesome legacy as star wars.

anyway, back to the countdown calendar.... I know the kids are liking it so far, but I am just not "sure" about it. I don't know what it is, but I want to tweek it somehow... or use something else entirely... I am not sure.

I do know that when we need an activity to keep Thomas fom getting bored one of these days this week, we will be making a paper chain countdown. That is what we used last year, and I think we need to do it again.
I also wish I had this, but hadn't made up my mind about it until now (and now it's too late, cuz I have already spent my christmas budget. So maybe next year.)

We got some outdoor lights hung up on Saturday. I wasn't sure we would get to it this year, cuz it snowed early, and there is no way we were going up on a slick snowy roof to hang lights. So instead I hung them around the windows, and on the lowest section of the roof, that I could still reach with just our short ladder. I will try tonight to get some picture of it. it's nothing impressive, but it does add to the wonder and sparkle of christmas. Thomas and Grayson can see them when they are on the couch. And that is who it's for, not so much the neighborhood. (Although, when other homes in the neighborhood have lights, doesn't it just feel more friendly?)
Thomas still tells us we need to put more on the roof, LOL, but I just told him, that this will have to do for this year.
I am counting on the fact that I should be able to get fancy plastic "light hangers" at the after christmas clearance sales, to use for next year. Then we could leave the hangers up all year, and putting lights up will be a cinch next year.

I have to laugh a little at myself, because last year at this time, all of us were dreaming and plotting about how we would be christmasing up our brand new homes.
Last year this week of Dec. we were roofing, and then when the snow came, we moved under the plastic tents to do rocking (and stay warm).
But from up on top of those houses we were all making big plans. And now here it is. We are living in the homes we built, living our dreams;(even if some of those big ambitions were a little lofty).

No comments: